Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Truck Technician I
at Caterpillar Inc.
The Truck Technician I completes basic maintenance and with limited assistance repairs diesel truck engines (including diagnosis, removing, repairing, installing, disassembling, assembling, rebuilding, reconditioning according to specifications, and applying parts reusability guidelines.) An Associate’s degree in diesel technology, trade school diploma, or equivalent experience required.
• Changes oil and fluids in equipment to specifications.
• Develops basic troubleshooting skills on various engine and truck systems working together with Technicians III or IV.
• Assists with some testing and comparing test results to specifications to determine if the system is working as designed.
• Assists with repairs, assists in diagnosing machine failures, and assists in performing repairs according to TRG standards.
• Develops mindset for technician productivity.
• Performs some simple tasks independently, such as inspections and minor troubleshooting, when scheduled for required p.m. work.
• Learns how to use service manuals, STW, SIS and parts books to address some technical issues. Performs all required tasks in accordance with printed procedures.
• Develops familiarity with parts reusability guidelines.
• Develops ability to write and read complete, factual service reports for files and warranty purposes using STW for timely work order closing.
• Develops skill sets to meet customer expectations and handles all customer inquiries in a prompt and friendly manner.
• Adheres to all customer care standards.
• Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
• May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
• Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record; CDL preferred.
• Basic computer/typing skills.
• Developing knowledge of SIS and STW.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Consistent attendance and timeliness.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
• Associates degree in diesel technology or trade school diploma or equivalent experience required.
• One year minimum experience in diagnosis, repair, disassembly, and assembly of on-highway trucks and engines.
• Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
• Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, repetitive climbing stairs, reaching (including but not limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
• Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment.
• Exposure to high noise level.
• Exposure to fumes.
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
• Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.