Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Welding Technician II
at Caterpillar Inc.
- Understands and performs with limited to no assistance all welding processes to repair and fabricate equipment, including but not limited to Stick, MIG, TIG, Dual Shield/Flux Core Wire, Sub arc, tin ware repair welding with limited Technician III or IV assistance..
- Determines appropriate welding process based on repair type.
- Sets up equipment properly according to the function and application.
- Understands properties of various types of steel and other welding metals (including but not limited to hardness; brittleness; elongation; tensile, etc.) and can determine the best type for the repair.
- Performs fabrication, including but not limited to line-boring; straightening, etc.
- Completes layout from prints and drawings; in absence of prints or patterns, can create prints or patterns
- Handles all public and internal inquiries in a prompt and friendly manner.
- Adheres to all customer care standards.
- Actively cares and advocates safety at Western States. Adhere to all applicable safety policies, procedures and standards.
- May accomplish training and serve as a team member in support of Western States’ strategic programs, projects, and initiatives.
- Work within and promote corporate vision, mission, and values of the organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced-level proficiency in all welding processes and fabrication.
- Ability to read blue prints required.
- Ability to fabricate without prints.
- Ability to attain certification in all welding processes required; AWS certification preferred.
- Understanding of the metric system.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Consistent attendance and timeliness.
- Ability to work overtime with little or no notice.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Associate Degree from an accredited vocational school preferred.
- Extensive experience with MIG, TIG, and Stick processes required.
- Proficiency or certification as a welder/fabricator of heavy equipment required.
- Experience and knowledge of CAT equipment preferred.
- Two to four years minimum welding and industry-specific machine work experience required. Line boring experience preferred.
- Must be able to communicate (speak, read, comprehend, write in English).
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time along with walking, sitting, climbing stairs, reaching (including but not limited to above-shoulder reaching), repetitive bending, pushing, pulling, leaning and twisting.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs in accordance with Western States’ Lifting Safe Work Practice to include amount and approach.
- Must be able to meet all safety requirements for applicable safety policies.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures and environment
- Exposure to high noise level
- Exposure to fumes
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. It is not intended be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this classification.