Montana Historical Society
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Computer Application Engineer (48033)
at Montana Historical Society
Job Reference #: 18142548
To be considered for any DPHHS Agency position, applicants must complete and submit their application online, as well as upload any required application materials. Successful applicant(s) are required to successfully pass all DPHHS specific background check(s) relevant to each position.
This position is part of a career ladder in an effort to formally progress employees to a higher level of job proficiency and responsibility as criteria is met and agency budget permits.
First review of applications will be Monday, November 12, 2018.
Materials Required of Applicants:
(To be considered in this pool, please submit the following)
- Cover letter—In your cover letter please describe your experience as it relates to the position that you are applying for.
- Professional References:
- Please provide 3 professional references, work relation, and contact number
(Please note that if selected for an interview, applicants may be required to take a coding and/or aptitude test).
(Please type responses in a Word document and attach to application. HELPFUL HINT: When attaching a document, you much check the “relevant document” box to ensure your attachments are uploading correctly to the specific application. Please do not attach more than requested. If you have more than 25 attachments in the system you will need to email these to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to attach the required material will conclude in an incomplete application. You must also keep those relevant boxes checked once you submit your application; if you uncheck the box with an active application it will delete the attachment.)
Job Overview: This is a programming position that performs all activities involved in a Software Development Life Cycle. The software applications are typically moderate to complex systems. These may be new systems being developed from the ground up or maintenance and enhancements on existing systems. This position may lead a team of programmers making incremental assignments and monitoring outputs.
This position will primarily focus on maintenance and enhancements to a portfolio of Oracle Forms/Reports/PL-SQL based systems. Candidate should have experience developing/maintaining applications in recent (10g ) of Oracle Forms, Reports, and PL/SQL.
Major Duties or Responsibilities:
Analysis and Design
- Analyzes the feasibility and cost of new systems to inform management decisions prior to starting projects.
- Leads the requirements analysis process (conducts meetings, writes draft requirements) with the operational staff to determine the components and complexity of the proposed system.
- Analyze and model business processes that systems will support.
- Estimate time and cost of software development.
- Writes design documentation to guide the development of the proposed system.
- Develops a conceptual or logical model of the database system to support the system under development using data modeling software.
Programming, Testing and Implementation
- Develops program specifications to guide the task of writing software.
- Writes and compiles computer programs to implement the specifications (created by more senior analysts.
- Tests the code in increasingly complex environments, starting with unit testing, proceeding through integration and system testing to ensure that the code performs as expected.
- Implements the software in the production environment by coordinating activities of the Technical services section, network bureau and the application end-users.
- Converts legacy data from the old application into the new database system.
- Writes system and user documentation.
- Conducts training for users on the software system.
Supervision / Project Management
- Leads information system projects to coordinate activities of the project team.
- Schedules and assigns the work of the team of up to 4 Programmer/Analysts to see that activities are undertaken in the correct order and by the persons most suitable to each task.
- Evaluates work done by other Programmer/Analysts on the team to ensure work is done correctly and in accordance with Bureau standards and project requirements.
- Writes project plans to guide the development process throughout the project.
- Manages the project tasks to deliver the components in a timely manner using project management software tools.
- Identify and correct programming mistakes that are causing errors in the software application.
- Correct data errors that cannot be corrected through the software application.
- Provides technical consulation to staff, users and management, in areas such as specific application functionality, database capabilities or application development techniques.
- Attends training sessions to improve own software or project management skills.
- Trains Programmer/Analysts on features of the database or development tools to raise the performance level of the team or Bureau.
- May create and maintain configuration and interoperability with third party products working with contractors and vendors.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned.
Physical and Environmental Demands: Typical office environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Required for the first day of work:
- Knowledge of the theories, principles and practices of information systems development: analysis, design, construction, testing, training, implementation and documentation.
- Familiarity with Windows and Web based applications.
- Understanding of project management methodologies for software development.
- Ability to solve information system problems and provide guidance, instruction and mentoring to other programmers.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and effectively communicate complex, technical concepts both verbally and in writing.
Required Minimum and Education Experience:
- College Degree (Bachelor's) in Computer Science or related degree
- 2 years of job-related work experience in computer project management, computer programming, or systems analysis.
- Other combinations of related education and experience may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Preferred recent Java experience using Hibernate, Spring Data, Spring Integration, Spring Security, Spring MVC, Thymeleaf, Bootstrap, Spring Boot, and Angular JS.
- Preferred experience with an integration, ESB, or ETL tool such as Mule, Oracle Data Integrator, Pentaho Kettle or other.
- Preferred experience with enterprise reporting tool such as Tableau, Pentaho, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Crystal Reports, Cognos, or similar.
If another department vacancy occurs in this job title within six months, the same applicant pool may be used for the selection.