Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Customer Solutions Technologist
at NorthWestern Energy
- 02-Jul-2019 (MST)
- Business Technology
- Butte, MT, USA
- Regular Full Time
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL POSTING: JOB REQUISITION #2763
POSTING DATES: July 2, 2019 through Open Until Filled
Customer Solutions Technologist
FI Business Technology
Negotiable within Montana Service Territory
5 - 8 ($42,300 - $105,600)
SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION
The position, Customer Solutions Technologist, in the eBusiness Group, is an integral part of the Business Technology Team. The successful candidate will work in a team environment to provide superior Customer Liaison support and development as it relates to the overall business strategy and needs of the customer. Working knowledge of PC's, applications, data center operations, networking and security is required.
Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential. In addition, the successful candidate must be a self-starter that pursues self-education, is customer focused, supports the organization's goals and values, and is willing to work extended hours as necessary.
While performing the duties of this position the employee will be required to see, walk, climb and balance, reach with hands and arms, sit, stoop, kneel, crawl and crouch under 1/3 of the time. Standing, sitting and using hands to type, finger, handle or feel will be required more than 2/3 of the time as well as being able to talk or hear over 2/3 of the time. Employee must be able to lift up to 10 pounds up to 2/3 of the time and up to 40 pounds under 1/3 of the time. The employee must be able to travel across the service territory to facilities and operate standard office equipment as required. The employee is expected to travel with a laptop computer and other necessary training peripherals. Employee is expected to take laptop home each night for disaster recovery purposes. Employee may be expected to participate in an on-call rotation.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- All NorthWestern Energy employees are required to adhere to company safety standards
- Ensure all actions are consistent with NorthWestern Energy's values, mission, goals, strategic business objectives, Effective Leadership methodology and Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Comply with internal controls, policies, practices, procedures and standards
- Working knowledge of SOX compliance
- Engage with stakeholders, colleagues, and vendors to deliver appropriate solutions
- Contribute to the development of new processes and resolve complex technical matters
- Work in a team environment, remotely from supervisor, making positive team contributions
- Share knowledge and assist in skill development for colleagues
- Undertake complex projects involving multiple disciplines impacting multiple business units
- Understand and apply new concepts quickly and accurately in an evolving environment
- 24 x 7 response required as well as evening and weekend hours when necessary
- Balance local immediate needs with longer-term IT strategies and directions
- Effectively communicate organizational and technology changes to stakeholders
- Firm understanding of the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
The Customer Solutions Technologist is a liaison between the business, technology and external business partners for project or process improvement requirements. The Information Analyst is responsible for proactively conducting interviews with all project stakeholders to determine functional requirements, modeling the requirements in an organized manner, and managing and communicating those requirements throughout the project or process improvement life cycle. Upon establishment of the requirements baseline, the Information Analyst will support change management, lead the development and delivery of the solutions which includes testing and engagement with the customer.
The Customer Solutions Technologist ensures that the technical solutions being developed will satisfy the needs of the business. The employee will engage stakeholders to analyze and develop conceptual design of system components. The Information Analyst ensures that high level designs including architecture requirements are accurately documented and map to the approved requirements.
- Interact with business stakeholders to identify problems, needs, and opportunities for improvement
- Investigate new technologies and future application releases through external sources (self-study, formal training, industry news, seminars/conferences and white papers)
- Establish mentor relationships between Business Technology Developer and Business User (Content Management, Application Support)
- Analyze and query complex data models
- Troubleshoot production problems
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Deliver training for applications/systems/equipment and related policies/procedures
- Authors complex web pages
- Assists in project planning and web site design
- Creates prototypes and functional specifications for software projects
- Perform other duties as required
- Effectively and efficiently organize, plan, execute and coordinate multiple work assignments to meet project milestones or established completion dates
- Work on projects including web layout enhancements, desktop applications, website enhancements, web based applications and database backed websites.
- Identify which techniques and documentation options are appropriate for each methodology and project type (COTS (Commercial off the shelf), maintenance, business process improvement, new development, etc).
- Proficient using various project software tools such as Microsoft Project, Excel and Visio
- Creates technical methodologies for engineering solutions to web-based development problems
- Meets with personnel on specifics of projects, new technologies, and deadlines
- Conceptualizes long-term needs of web development, and plans and manages related projects
- Adhere to established business analysis, database, and development standards and best practices
- Interact with servers
- Monitor site technical performance
- Work on a variety of development frameworks and database systems
- Analyze, review and modify web systems by designing, maintaining, documenting, testing, developing and monitoring.
- Take advantage of Microsoft SharePoint as the platform and core foundation for the business solutions by including native SharePoint capabilities combined with custom-developed functionality such as custom web parts, lists, content types, business connectivity adaptors, workflows (SharePoint Designer and Visual Studio 2010), event handlers, features, solution packaging (WSPs), authentication providers, custom .NET assemblies, business intelligence functionality, and by integrating with other line of business systems.
- Determines new web technologies to utilize, such as browsers, languages, and plug-ins, based on company needs and regulations.
- Provides input on creating web-based technical standards for specific web sites and the company as a whole.
- Technical support and troubleshooting skills
- Mobile application development and responsive web design.
- Responsible for eCommerce design and functionality
Develops and Reviews Requirements
- Gathers, documents, and analyzes business needs and requirements.
- Develop technical design specifications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required
- Ensure the system is technically feasible and financially achievable
- Identify which functional requirements/features benefit the business (support the most important strategic directions of the business, cheaper, faster)
- High level of knowledge of customer's business required
- Be able to technically assess requirements against current architecture.
- Clearly understand and accurately represent the needs of the stakeholders
- Assist or be able to design the user interface and user experience of the system
- Effective documentation and specification skills required
- Assist in the overall planning of applications and company policy regarding optimization of applications and web development.
- Conduct an effective requirements review to improve the quality of the requirements package
- Strong analytical skills required
- Document, categorize, identify area of impact, and package requirements
- Comply with Change Management procedures and policies in developing and implementing changes
- Thorough understanding of proper change management techniques required
- Configure system and interact with system architects, developers, server analysts, network analysts, security analysts and business continuity team to ensure that system is properly implemented
- Develop release notes and training documentation
- Working knowledge of servers, networks (multi-site configuration), security, and business continuity practices required
- Effectively use Change Management procedures and policies in developing and implementing changes
Customer Service Support
- Strong customer service skills
- Provide technical support to end users on a variety of computer hardware, software and telecommunications issues in a multiple platform environment
- Respond to requests via telephone, in person, email or help desk tickets
- Diagnose, identify, research and resolve problems
- Implement corrective action locally, from remote sites or guide end user through corrective actions
- Take help desk calls or requests via email or ticketing system and work efficiently to resolve end user issues
- Provide first level phone support as needed
- Work with BT staff on projects and troubleshooting problems
- Respond timely to staff requests, resolving issues, documenting changes within established parameters and escalating those which need higher level review
- Working knowledge of Windows Operating Systems and Microsoft Desktop Applications
- Support other Business Technology groups as workload and staffing requires
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions and key responsibilities. It does not prescribe or restrict responsibilities that may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year accredited college with some related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- A+ Certification beneficial
- Adhere to NorthWestern Energy's Professional Knowledge Worker Competencies
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret necessary documents and regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to develop positive customer, team and leadership relationships to facilitate Business Technology business partnerships
- Excellent computer skills including spreadsheet applications such as Excel, database, word processing and application development
- Strong organization skills to coordinate workload and employee development
- Travel will be required
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrate and maintain a good safety record
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of major content management systems, understanding and experience with SiteFinity beneficial
- Expertise in Adobe creative suite (Photoshop and Illustrator) or GIMP
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and other web statistic tools
When considering applicants for this position, the selection process will take into consideration the needs of NorthWestern, including such factors as reorganization requirements, diversity opportunities, relocation requirements, employee development and job succession. If any of the preceding language conflicts with the applicable bargaining unit agreements, the bargaining unit agreement will prevail.
External applicants should apply online at http://www.northwesternenergy.com. Internal applicants should apply online at iConnect. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources department via phone at 1-800-245-6977, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources Department Job # 2763
3010 West 69th Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal or state laws and statutes.