OBEC Consulting Engineers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Construction Materials Lab Manager
at OBEC Consulting Engineers
The position’s primary function is to manage construction materials testing and inspection services in accordance with the firm’s policies and procedures and by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Prepare proposals and negotiate fees for Construction Materials Testing and Inspection services.
- Manage financial performance of the department.
- Manage recruiting and hiring and all personnel related actions for all staff.
- Manage testing and inspection projects and contracts to schedule, budget, and quality.
- Manage and oversee QA/QC on all lab and field reports and activities.
- Manage testing and inspection in the lab and in the field.
- Consistently exercise discretion and judgment in all work tasks.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises selected technical, administrative, supervisory, and dispatch employees and coordinates with other supervisors to manage Materials Testing Technicians and Inspectors in the department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma
- 3 years prior experience in construction or civil engineering field is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have a valid drivers license and a good driving record.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical analysis, and fundamentals of geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to clients, co-workers, and the public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Project software.
- Must be able to estimate project costs.
- Must understand and manage project costing, budgeting, scheduling, negotiating, etc.
- Must understand and manage P&L, balance sheets, sufficiently to run a profitable department.
- Must understand and implement employment law.
- Must have technical expertise in construction materials testing and inspection and construction law.
Physical Demands. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.