University Of Montana
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HVAC/R Technician, Facilities Services
at University Of Montana
Facilities Services - Technical Services invites applications for the HVAC/R Technician to maintain, troubleshoot, repair, operate and optimize all types of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration systems, and control systems. This position will work with other crafts to complete projects.
- Ability to troubleshooting of electrical components of large refrigeration and air conditioning systems; ability to read blueprints and interpret electrical schematics, controls schematics and mechanical drawings; ability to repair and maintain chillers, cooling towers, heat pumps, H.V.A.C. and well water cooling systems.
- Ability to repair or replace refrigeration compressors and system components; possess an in-depth understanding of the refrigeration cycle; ability to properly braze ACR copper, fittings and use a vacuum pump and recovery unit for making repairs; ability to recover and re-charge refrigeration systems with refrigerant; ability to repair or replace ice machine parts.
- Ability to perform repair or replacement of all pneumatic control systems and equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of air compressors and knowledge of repair procedures, knowledge of pneumatic controls, thermostats, receiver-controllers, and related control devices. Ability to repair maintenance and replacement of refrigerated air dryers and components.
- Ability to perform service repair and maintenance of heating equipment, boilers, pumps, and related equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of the heating cycle and sequence of operation of related equipment; ability to troubleshoot, service and repair: steam, gas and hydronic heating systems.
- Ability to perform repair or replacement of electronic digital control systems; possess an in-depth understanding of programming and servicing building automation controls; ability to adjust settings or logic from a laptop or a work station; able to isolate and repair failed components and calibrate systems.
- Ability to perform repair and maintenance of ventilation equipment; possess an in-depth understanding of how a ventilation system works and be able to troubleshoot, balance, and repair ductwork, sheet metal, and air distribution systems.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and perform the primary functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.)
- Lifting: Ground to 36 inches, up to 100 lbs. Waist to overhead, up to 15 lbs.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 50 lbs for 50 feet or less, with one hand and two hands.
- Pushing and pulling forces required (during the use of tools and moving equipment): 100 lbs sustained.
- Static trunk forward bending and twisting from a standing, crouching or kneeling position while using tools.
- Reaching with your arms in all directions.
- Working overhead from various positions (standing, squatting, and on knees).
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder or scaffold.
- Crouching and kneeling throughout the day on even and uneven surfaces.
- Use of various grip circumferences and strengths as well as static grip positions during the use of various tools (4 1/2" to 5 1/2" circumference needing an average of 50 lbs of grip force) and while manipulating various work materials (maximum 100 lbs).
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of employment.
Minimum Required Experience
- High school graduation or equivalent and five (5) years of field experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration trade; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Possess an EPA "Type 2" refrigerant certification.
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Technical School diploma in HVAC.
- Ability to be self-directed and work under general supervision.
- Be able to use a variety of electrical and mechanical test equipment.
- Possess general knowledge of computer systems and components.
About the Facilities Services, UM, and Missoula
Facilities Services is charged with the efficient operation and maintenance of the University’s state-funded physical plant and assists the various auxiliary operations with these services when requested. Facilities Services also supports the campus in enhancing and developing its physical plant.
The University of Montana provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of innovation and creativity, impact, openness, and partnership.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Position Title: HVAC/R Technician (Refrigeration Tech)
Position Number: 083360
Department: Facilities Services
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), 12 months/year.
Union Affiliation: United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters
Probationary Period: Six (6) months
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Monday, September 2, 2019 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.