University Of Montana
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Instructional Design Manager, UMOnline
at University Of Montana
UMOnline seeks an innovative professional with leadership experience for the position of Instructional Design Manager to oversee the team of Instructional Designers. This position develops, monitors, and reports on key performance indicators (KPIs) with an emphasis on creating improved organizational performance and maximizing return on investment (ROI). The responsibilities of the Instructional Design Manager of UMOnline includes:
Management and Leadership:
- Partners and collaborates with various institutional programs and departments to provide professional development opportunities in support of practices centered on student learning and success; facilitates ongoing access to professional development opportunities to faculty and staff to increase awareness and knowledge around student career pathways; ensures coordinated learning opportunities for faculty and staff are focused on data-driven decision making.
- Stays abreast on emerging literature, research, and approaches on teaching and learning; networks locally and nationally with other online teaching and learning organizations at the higher education level; actively participates as presenter or attendee at local and national conferences and/or workshops that involve a range of issues related to professional development; leads campus collaborations in the scholarship of online teaching and learning.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, establishes and maintains UMOnline guidelines, processes and operational procedures.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director in vendor relationships and management of the partnerships.
Program Supervision and Development:
- Supervises the instructional design team, including overseeing day-to-day operations, assigning duties, monitoring and assessing progress, conducting annual performance evaluations, and ensuring staff professional development; meets regularly with the Executive Director of UMOnline to coordinate and prioritize work.
- Assigns and supervises the work of others on a project basis, including faculty contracted for special projects, hourly employees, and student workers.
- Provides input to the Executive Director of UMOnline about funding requests for facilities, equipment, and resources as part of the institutional budget process.
- Partners with department chairs, contractors, managers, subject-matter experts, and organizational leaders to conduct training needs and gap analysis.
- Develops online courses as needed.
Facilitation and Coordination:
- Oversees, coordinates, and facilitates a variety of workshops and/or trainings designed to improve the use of technology-enhanced teaching and learning methods, to increase innovative instruction and support "high intentional" practices centered on student engagement and success in online and hybrid classroom environments.
- Coordinates professional development related to teaching and learning in online and hybrid classroom environments.
- Ensures that faculty meet the qualifications and preparedness to teach online and hybrid courses in accordance with their faculty contract.
- Leverages innovative instructional design methods to create engaging, outcome-driven, and proactive learning experiences.
- Incorporates and champions the application of evidence-based methodologies in the design of training initiatives.
- Identifies and implements process improvement strategies to expedite the production of training curricula and enhance the quality of materials being delivered.
- Fosters effective communication strategies and systems regarding professional development opportunities for UM instructors and staff.
- Oversees unified communication channels for professional development resources, services provided by UMOnline, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Skills
- Master's degree in Educational or Instructional Technology, Instructional Design, or related field, in addition to five (5) years of experience in instructional design, instructional systems design/development and/or educational technology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate with all levels of the university community and the ability to work across organizational boundaries, particularly in the areas of teaching and learning.
- Ability to communicate detailed and sometimes difficult information with clarity and diplomacy.
- Ability to research, assess, select, implement and support instructional media and emerging technologies that benefit the university's teaching and learning priorities.
- Expertise in applying learning theory and pedagogy to develop instructional design strategies
- Prior online teaching experience, and demonstrated ability to manage people and programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; ability to works independently with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member, takes initiative, and act with confidence.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to evaluate complex information, make judgments calls and recommend solutions.
- Knowledge of organizational structures, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Experience with needs assessment, program analysis and project management.
- Demonstrates excellent analytical skills and ability to produce high-quality, measurable results.
- Extensive knowledge of UM and UMOnline program/courses
- Leadership experience in a higher education environment
- Ability to train others and offer support with software programs and work processes
- Ability to develop creative approaches to replace outdated processes and procedures that are no longer effective
- Working knowledge and understanding of university-wide protocols, procedures, policies and priorities
- Ability to present information effectively to all levels of UM staff, faculty and administrators as well as to UM students and the public
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Montana University System (MUS) Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary for this position is $66,000 - $72,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
UMOnline has a mission to promote and support excellence and innovation in online teaching and learning at the University of Montana through supporting the creation of quality online, blended and web-enhanced learning opportunities for students.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life. Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action: Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
- University of Montana
- City of Missoula
- The State of Montana
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: September 16, 2020 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Applications received by this date will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Cover letter – describing research interests, experience, career goals, and your fit for the position
- Detailed CV - listing education, publications, skills, etc
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.