University Of Montana
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Web Developer, Information Technology
at University Of Montana
Information Technology invites applications for a Web Developer (Computer Software Engineer /Applications I) to perform very specialized design, development, and maintenance of websites, applications, and associated web technologies with an extremely high degree of independence and autonomy. This involves working with clients to analyze project requirements, writing project specifications, and designing and developing applications while meeting demanding time deadlines. Since the web application development team engages in cutting-edge technology development, the incumbent will be a valuable resource to other programmers and systems administrators within the information technology organization and across campus. This interaction and networking with multiple campus entities will be crucial to the success of the Information Technology Office in terms of developing project leads and public awareness of the IT's services and capabilities.
The employee will utilize specialized tools which may include, content management systems, advanced graphic design software, ticketing/work-order system and enterprise applications. This position will provide ongoing technical support and maintenance of the University’s content management system and additional enterprise systems as they come online.
This position assists the Web Services Manager in developing strategies for consistent presentation of web content across the University’s web presence, including implementing technical and design improvements to the official template system, working with campus entities to help them comply with existing web standards, and (with other campus personnel) periodically revising standards.
This position will demonstrate strong communication skills, including communication of ideas and information via digital media. This position will edit and write content on a wide range of topics for a diverse audience. In particular, this position will convey technical ideas effectively to non-technical audiences.
This position will manage web projects from start to finish, including initial contact and planning with clients, the creation of a project plan, development of a project plan, development of a project schedule, and transitioning a project to a client for regular maintenance.
- Ability to design, code, document, implement and support internal and external websites and web applications.
- Understanding of web accessibility standards in a web environment.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to research, analyze complex technical problems, apply sound judgments to solutions, and make recommendations.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and embrace new concepts, skills, and develop fresh alternative solutions.
- Ability to understand customer requirements and goals.
- Ability to interpret customer business processes and assist with introducing new technologies where needed.
- Experience with Velocity and JQuery.
- Experience using version control.
- Experience with content management systems.
- This position is mostly desk-based. However, at times the employee may be asked to assist with the moving of computer equipment. Candidate should have the ability to work in an open space team environment that is often noisy with many distractions.
Minimum Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or another related field in addition to three (3) years of closely related experience; or any combination of experience and education that provides the competencies necessary to successfully discharge the duties and responsibilities assigned to the position.
- Experience with and be able to administer the Cascade Content Management System.
- Understanding of basic system architecture.
- Laravel PHP framework experience.
- Bootstrap front-end framework experience.
- Understanding of relational databases such that they can write queries and generate reports.
Position Title: Web Developer (Computer Software Engineer / Applications I)
Position Number: 479920
Department: Information Technology
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 12 months/year.
Salary: $21.219/hr – Current employee’s rate of pay for this position will be determined by the staff compensation plan and may be different from the posted salary. For questions and details regarding the staff compensation plan, email the Compensation Department.
Union Affiliation: Montana Federation of Public Employees (MFPE)
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include: Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Thursday, December 20, 2018 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’ will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related the stated required skills for the position.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience.
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.