University of Montana
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Associate Director of Fiscal & Tax Compliance
at University of Montana
Associate Director of Fiscal & Tax Compliance
The Human Resources Department at the University of Montana invites applications for an Associate Director of Fiscal and Tax Compliance to join their team. This position will oversee accounting payroll functions for the University of Montana campuses and affiliated campuses (Montana Tech, University of Montana Western, and Helena College). The Payroll Compliance and Fiscal Manager provides responsible oversight for a variety of compliance issues regarding federal and state regulations as they apply to personal and business taxation, employment, and accounting. This position covers payroll, including tax compliance and deposits, and Federal and State(s) reporting on both a regular and annual basis. Processing of vendor payments and tax compliance/reporting all take place in the Missoula office for all campuses. A minimum of 52 payrolls are processed annually with approximately 11,000 W2s being completed annually. During the 2019 calendar year, $201,716,890 in wages were paid plus $71,547,389 in employer-paid benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for making mandatory tax deposits accurately and on time
· This requires experience in the preparation of tax deposits and knowledge and working experience with varying IRS and State rules applying to payroll and fringe benefits
· Quarterly and annual reporting for Federal and State agencies, including W2s, 1095s, 1042s, W2Gs, 941, 945, 1094, and related state reports
· Develop, implement, and ensure adherence to (1) generally accepted accounting principles and practices (GAAP); (2) IRS regulations regarding fringe benefit identification and taxation and designing and implementing systems to capture this data on campus
· Develop tax agreements with other cities, counties, and state agencies for employees not working in Montana
· Data entry, summary of data, processing, and verification of data from the Banner HR Module into the Finance Module
· Data maintenance - Identify, analyze, and correct data errors
· Prepare specialized reports for UM and Affiliate users, regulatory agencies, and third parties
· Use of Access or SQL to prepare ad hoc reports for users as well as data review
· Approve, review and process manual checks for: EFT rejects, retroactive wage payments, and wage adjustments
· Setting up deductions and payroll adjustments
· Preparation of fiscal year-end transaction entries, footnotes, and accruals/deferrals
· Create edits to ensure the accurate transmittal of data from the Banner HR module to various external modules
· Ensure all withheld liability amounts promptly transmit to the correct payroll vendors and creditors
· Reconciliation of 100 different payroll liability accounts, ensuring all accounts are clearing as appropriate
· Ensuring UM and Affiliates comply with USCIS requirements for Employment Eligibility requirements through I-9 verification and E-Verify requirements
· Prepare retirement/pension footnote and leave liability report for financial statements
· Provide ideas for enhanced usage of the Banner HR module and provide testing of changes
· Review of foreign national withholding compliance and tax reporting requirements
· Active participation in accounting and budget analysis of payroll data including encumbrance data
· Supervise two 1.0 FTE classified staff members - Payroll Accountant & Payroll/Benefits Technician
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
· High level of responsibility in all areas of the position
· Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulations governing payroll administration, including the ability to learn state payroll regulations for multiple states
· Advanced payroll experience including processing withheld taxes on a next day deposit cycle; compliance with various required and optional retirement options; compliance with multiple union requirements, processing and reconciling self-funded workers compensation and health insurance pools; and processing garnishments, child support orders, tax levies, and wage assignments according to external regulations
· Accounting experience with complete processing and reconciliation of payments to internal and external vendors
· Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE, Montana University System Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
· Salary for this position is $70,000 - 80,000 per year commensurate with qualifications
Required Education and Experience
· Bachelors degree and five (5) years of related experience in a large payroll environment with a high level of responsibility; or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Understanding and experience in the preparation of tax deposits
· Demonstrated experience with quarterly and annual reporting for Federal and State agencies, including W2s, 1095s, 1042s, W2Gs, 941, 945, 1094, and related state reports
· Knowledge and working experience with payroll regulations of the IRS
· Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and audit practices
· Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret complex federal and state regulations and apply them appropriately and consistently
· Demonstrated responsibility for complex, regulated, and time-sensitive functions
· Advanced analytical abilities
· Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
· Ability to use computer technology, web applications, and related software with the ability to learn new software
· Knowledge of supervisory practices and skills
· Advanced oral, written, and presentation communication skills
· Ability to quickly develop and maintain interpersonal relations with a diverse array of individuals within and outside of the university
· Ability to meet and work under pressure of constant deadlines and conflicting priorities
· Advanced problem-solving skills
· Experience with SQL or Access
· Experience with governmental accounting
· Banner experience
UM offers one of the richest learning environments in the country. Our liberal arts and sciences tradition and interdisciplinary focus are the foundation of undergraduate, professional, and graduate programs that foster critical thinking and integrative problem solving. A research intensive, associate through doctoral degree-granting institution, UM is an essential part of Missoula: a vibrant college town characterized by scenic beauty, an engaged community, and a healthy economy. The UM acknowledges that we are in the aboriginal territories of the Salish and Kalispel people, a number of whom are our colleagues, students, and friends. Today, we honor the path they have always shown us in caring for this place for the generations to come.
Located in the heart of the northern Rocky Mountains, Missoula offers a stunning natural landscape where five valleys and three major rivers converge. UMs location provides a strong foundation for world-class programs focused on the environment. UM also excels in fields such as human health and biomedical sciences, business, law, education, and journalism. As a major center for the arts and culture in Montana, UM educates artists, performers, and writers. The Payne Family Native American Center highlights the Universitys commitment to the Native American communities of Montana, the largest minority group in Montana and on campus, and houses our outstanding Native American Studies program. The University is committed to meeting societal needs through strong programs in the humanities, sciences, and professions. The Davidson Honors College serves as the symbol of UMs commitment to excellence in undergraduate education. UMs fully integrated two-year unit, Missoula College, offers workforce development as well as baccalaureate pathway programs. The University of Montana is an NCAA Division I institution and competes in 15 intercollegiate varsity sports. Today, UM enrolls approximately 10,000 students.
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: November 22, 2020
For application instructions, required application materials, and to learn more about UM and Missoula, please apply at https://bit.ly/2690umjobs.
UM embraces diversity as a core value - Applicants from qualified women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities as well as individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
UM is an AA/EEO/ADA/Veterans Preference Employer.